Website Hillside Student Community School
Grades 9-12 Math and Physics teaching position with Physics to be added for 2018-19 and on alternating years
Hillside Student Community provides an educational environment centered on developing, recognizing, appreciating, and sharing our gifts with one another. This is the true basis for education: it teaches us what it means to be human. We are located on five acres of cedar and fir forest on Cougar Mountain. Small class sizes of fifteen or fewer ensure success and nurture community.
We believe that the development of creative, compassionate, critically thinking individuals is the highest goal of the school. Youth need a central set of ethical values to give them the strength to be unique. Hillside integrates these values within an inspiring core curriculum.
Our school seeks to help students to discern and work to develop their gifts and to share them with the world.
We encourage students as they:
• Hone their critical thinking abilities, develop academic skills, and strive for excellence
• Risk mistakes – since errors are stepping stones to creativity and learning
• Participate in a nurturing, respectful, supportive environment
• Explore feelings and choose responsible actions
• Discover their own gifts and celebrate the gifts of others
To this end, the school is seeking a Math and Physics teacher for grades 9-12 for the 2017-2018 school year.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in mathematics, physics or related fields
• Current Washington State teaching certificate preferred, but not required
• Demonstrates excitement and love of mathematics and physics and is eager to share that enthusiasm with students
• Understands the need for rigor–and is able to help students to understand the importance of the “why” over the “how”
• Is willing and able to challenge and support students to develop and grow in the subject matter
• Recent experience with this age group or university coursework related to high school education
• Manages classroom effectively and fairly
• Can clearly gauge student capabilities and current standing, and plan appropriate lessons
• Clearly communicates with students, parents and other staff members
• Loves and appreciates children
• Creates an environment where students feel safe to risk making mistakes and learn from them
• Has the ability to forgive oneself and others
• Clear sense of humor and appreciation for others
• Awareness of and ability to articulate the developmental and academic needs and behaviors of high school students
• Demonstrates the ability to work well as a team member–this includes flexibility and a positive attitude
• Demonstrates respect for each student and staff member
• Eager to support the development of the Hillside community
• Demonstrates the desire to grow as a teacher and a learner
Currently one period each of the following courses:
• Algebra II (daily 50-minute period)
• Pre-Calculus (daily 50-minute period)
• Calculus (daily 50-minute period)
• Physics classes to be added 2018-19 and on alternate years ensuing
• Possibility of adding Computer Science
• Possibility of tech duties including those of webmaster or tech support
• Possibility of occasional van driving (over 25 with valid Washington state driver’s license and passes insurance company van driver test)
Comparable to area independent private schools, usually starting with “Washington K-12 Salary Allocation Schedule for Certificated Instructional Staff”.
Interested parties are invited to submit a cover letter, resume, and any other relevant information. If a match looks promising, a visit and interview with faculty members and an opportunity to present lessons to students will be arranged.
Please send inquiries to
Re Math/Science Position
Hillside Student Community School
5027 159th Pl SE
Bellevue, WA 98006
No phone calls please.
Posted: May 18, 2017
Closing: When filled