Website Puget Sound Community School
Turning passion into achievement
Puget Sound Community School (PSCS), an innovative, state-approved independent middle & high school in Seattle, has an open teaching staff position for the 2018-19 school year and likely beyond.
PSCS is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. People from all cultures, communities, and with a diverse variety of lived experience are encouraged to apply, including women, people of color, queer, gay, lesbian and/or bisexual people, transgender, genderqueer and/or non-binary folks. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, nor on marital, veteran, or disability status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
10 month, renewable school year position, August 21, 2018 through June 20, 2019.
Salary set at $45,406, regardless of experience, with full medical, dental, and retirement benefits ($1500 bonus if certified to teach in Washington state).
The person hired will:
– Demonstrate both excitement and ability to work with middle school students, helping to cultivate, design, and create a broad base of educational opportunities for our students in grades 6-8.
– Serve as school advisor to 10-12 students, most of them in middle school.
– Participate in activities that promote an understanding of the mission statement, philosophy, and core values of PSCS.
– Demonstrate strength of character and personality, as well as deep passions and a willingness to experience whatever life offers.
– Be eager to work collaboratively with staff and students to create a healthy, vibrant learning community.
Possessing some of the following characteristics, skills or experiences will help the applicant be successful in the position:
– Familiarity with a student-centered approach to education.
– A demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to apply racial, gender, environmental, and economic justice lenses to work with youth.
– Willingness to help the school work toward community growth around issues of equity.
– Sharable experience from outside the dominant culture.
About Puget Sound Community School:
– Founded in 1994 on the belief that people are compelled to learn intrinsically and will eagerly explore their interests when provided a positive environment and support in their self-selected pursuits.
– A compassionate staff of talented and compelling people work together as a team to provide a nurturing, respectful and vibrant school environment for 50-60 students in a multi-age setting.
– Engaging the community, acting with courage, practicing integrity and otherwise living as a responsible citizen are among the most valued tenets of a PSCS education.
– Functioning in a truly diverse community is a vital 21st-century skill and we are building our community accordingly.
– Learn more at http://pscs.org and meet the staff at http://pscs.org/community/staff.
Applications are being accepted until the position is filled so we urge those interested to act quickly. To apply, send/email a cover letter, resumé, and three references to:
Andy Smallman, Director
Puget Sound Community School
660 S. Dearborn St.
Seattle, WA 98134
In your cover letter be sure to include:
– What attracts you to PSCS.
– Three things that stand out to you about our educational philosophy.
We encourage you to be creative in the presentation of your application materials.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org