Website Puget Sound Community School
Turning passion into achievement
Puget Sound Community School (PSCS), an innovative, state-approved independent middle & high school in Seattle, has an open teaching staff position for the 2017-18 school year and likely beyond.
- 10 month, renewable school year position, August 22, 2017 through June 21, 2018.
- Salary set at $44,516, regardless of experience, with full medical, dental, and retirement benefits ($1500 bonus if certified to teach in Washington state).
The person hired will:
- Have experience presenting, or be able to demonstrate a strong potential to present, social justice topics to middle and high school students.
- Help cultivate, design, and create a broad base of educational opportunities for students.
- Serve as school advisor to approximately 12 students each year.
- Participate in activities that promote an understanding of the mission statement, philosophy, and core values of PSCS.
- Demonstrate strength of character and personality, as well as deep passions and a willingness to experience whatever life offers.
- Be eager to work collaboratively with staff and students to create a healthy, vibrant learning community built on consensus and communication.
Possessing some of the following characteristics, skills or experiences is also a plus:
- Be familiar with a student-centered approach to education.
- An art, music, drama, dance, outdoor, and/or science background.
- Experience working with middle school students.
About Puget Sound Community School:
- Founded in 1994 on the belief that people are compelled to learn intrinsically and will eagerly explore their interests when provided a positive environment and support in their self-selected pursuits.
- A compassionate staff of talented and compelling people work together as a team to provide a nurturing, respectful and vibrant school environment for approximately 50 students in a multi-age setting.
- Engaging the community, acting with courage, practicing integrity, honoring your creativity and otherwise living as a responsible citizen are among the most valued tenets of a PSCS education.
- Functioning in a truly diverse community is a vital 21st-century skill and we are building our community accordingly.
- We hold those involved with PSCS to very high standards of behavior and demand that everyone strive to establish relationships based on mutual trust, integrity, support, and understanding.
Applications are being accepted until the position is filled so we urge those interested to act quickly. To apply, send a cover letter, resumé, and three references to:
Andy Smallman, Director
Puget Sound Community School
660 S. Dearborn St.
Seattle, WA 98134
In your cover letter be sure to include:
- What attracts you to PSCS.
- Three things that stand out to you about our educational philosophy.
- We encourage you to be creative in the presentation of your application materials.
Direct questions to Andy at 206-324-4350 or email@example.com.
PSCS is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or age, nor on marital, veteran or disability status. People from all cultures and communities are encouraged to apply.