Review the L&I Requirements and Guidance for Preventing COVID-19, with particular acknowledgment of:
- When providing care to or working near someone known or suspected to have COVID, ensure employees wear appropriate, fit-tested, and NIOSH-approved respirators.
- Address COVID protocols in the school’s handbook and safety information. See Safety & Health Core Rules, Accident Prevention Program Chapter 296-800 WAC.
- Keep employees who have tested positive or are symptomatic for COVID out of the workplace for at least five days or implement effective controls.
The latest Guidance to Prevent and Respond to COVID in K-12 Schools and Child Cares (May 2023) has a great deal of outdated content related to testing in school but is still the most current document.
Reporting COVID Outbreaks is still required.
- FIVE or more confirmed or suspected cases among a cohort in 7 days OR
- Multiple COVID cases from positive tests comprising at least 20% of a cohort (students, teachers, or staff within a specified core group) within 7 days.
- Outbreaks must be reported to your local health department.
Test kit access for schools