On Friday October 26th, WFIS convened the Constituency Leader annual fall meeting. Directors from the different education and accrediting organizations met to get updated by WFIS and one another on the issues facing schools, exchange information, and grapple with decisions about how best to move forward on behalf of all of the private schools in Washington State.
Archie Harris, Craig Mattson and Michelle Wacter from two of the Seventh Day Adventist conferences; Chelle Downey-Magee of Montessori Schools; Chris Rast of Christian Schools International; Kaitlyn O’Leary of Seattle Archdiocese; Joe Sprague of Washington State Catholic Conference and Judy Jennings of the State Board of Education heard presentations and gave input on:
- the changing landscape of early learning and how it will affect K12 education
- the school safety component of each groups accreditation tools
- an update on a school safety notification system and the recent meeting private schools had with Martin Mueller from OSPI
- WIAA reclassification proposal, meeting and final resolution
- Private School oversight transition from OSPI to State Board of Education in January 2019
- How the Title Fund distribution of services is going for their schools
The meeting was brief but highly effective in generating dialogue that benefited everyone.