Website Gardner School of Arts and Sciences
Teaching Deeply, Learning Fully, Cultivating Responsibility
The Gardner School is seeking a dynamic, experienced, and engaged After Care Program
Teacher. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a variety of age ranges, from
Kindergarten to 6th and/or Early Childhood students in an afterschool care setting,
planning and implementing games and activities and interacting with parents and other
Duties could include supervising indoor and outdoor play, addressing the social and
emotional needs of students, and developing engaging activities that are developmentally
appropriate for students. A strong understanding of child development and an ability to use
a variety of resources to create play options including physical play, creative or imaginative
play, and more is needed for this role.
In addition to the qualifications listed below, the ideal After Care Teacher candidate will
have experience supervising students in play-based settings and managing a classroom
space to ensure safe, responsible, and appropriate care. For candidates applying for the
Early Childhood position, current DCYF certification is required. After Care Teachers are
often called upon first for substitute teaching opportunities, as well.
● Establish effective communications and relationships with students and parents;
● Help to maintain school policies, regulations, and expectations.
● Develop and maintain professional, collaborative, and collegial relationships with
faculty and staff, as well as with community partners.
● Support the work of the Head of School and administrative/leadership team.
● Provide effective supervision of students to promote a safe and healthy environment
and school experience.
● Timely and professional completion of required reports and forms, including any
● Provide minor first aid as needed.
● Fulfill other responsibilities as assigned respective to faculty member’s status as a
Gardner community member.
● Complete additional facilities and support tasks as assigned.
● Earned high school diploma or higher degree, preferably in a field related to education or child development.
● Demonstrated the type of language that supports social and emotional development
● Demonstrated success in creative and engaging play based work youth services.
● Excellent verbal, written, and digital communication skills; ability to effectively
communicate and work with administrators, faculty, staff, parents, and students.
● Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with people from different cultures and
● Excellent skills in preparedness, attendance and punctuality.
● If working with our Early Childhood program, current certification from DCYF is
Faculty members are at all times responsible for the supervision of students in their care
during classes and for students generally at all times when on campus or off campus during
This is a 10-month position with hourly pay commensurate with experience.
To apply for this job please visit gardnerschool.org.