Website Seattle Country Day School
Intermediate School, Assistant Teacher: Literacy Focus
Reports to: Intermediate School Division Head
Starting Date: August 2022
Seattle Country Day School (SCDS) is an independent school that serves more than 400 gifted students, grades K–8, on a 2.4-acre campus on the north slope of Queen Anne Hill in Seattle, Washington.
At SCDS, we know gifted children can be intense, verbal, and imaginative; we also know that gifted children come from every community, every race, and every socioeconomic class. At SCDS, our students find a warm, welcoming classroom, one based around the concept of inquiry, a method where teachers encourage students to explore, to ask questions, to experiment, and to create. The school also prioritizes social-emotional learning, which is informed by diversity, equity, and inclusion concepts. This attention to the whole child, and to the world they live in, stimulates children’s intellect and imagination and helps foster qualities such as flexibility, empathy, integrity, and compassion.
In our work and in our hiring processes, SCDS is guided by a multi-year strategic plan that focuses on two interconnected priorities: retaining and attracting excellent faculty, especially faculty of color, and increasing the racial and socioeconomic diversity and inclusivity of our school.
SCDS is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at SCDS are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, veteran, military, or marital status, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression/identity, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), or any other status protected by applicable law. SCDS will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
We encourage everyone who is interested in this position to apply.
Qualifications for the Position
· A bachelor’s degree in education or a related field and professional experience in an educational setting is required;
· A background in reading/writing/literacy is strongly preferred.
· Student Supervision – Lunch and recess, may include before school (7:30-8:15 am), or after school (until 4 pm)
· Supervise students during lunch and recess periods;
· Provide a safe, caring, and challenging environment for students;
· Maintain consistent expectations for behavior. Support students in problem-solving and conflict resolution;
· Create, choose, and supervise projects and learning opportunities for students;
· Assistance with drop-off in the morning and dismissal in the afternoon when necessary;
· Other duties as assigned.
· Work with students both individually and in small groups under the supervision of the classroom teacher;
· Substitute as needed and assigned by Division Head;
· Accompany classes on field trips and other off-campus activities;
· Assist teachers and office staff with school projects, both within and outside the classroom;
· Other duties as assigned.
This position is full-time for the academic year.
SCDS offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance and long-term disability, excellent retirement plan, and section 125 plan.
Applicants should download an application from seattlecountryday.org/about-scds/employment. Submit this completed application, a letter of interest, and a resumé with references to firstname.lastname@example.org.