Reports are on the rise of norovirus impacting various parts of WA. Norovirus is highly infectious and can rapidly spread in school settings. These steps reduce the risk of school-based outbreaks:
- Request that students, school staff, and volunteers stay home when ill with vomiting or diarrhea and return only when symptoms have been resolved for at least 24 hours.
- Remind staff and students about handwashing with warm water & soap before eating and following group interactions, with an intense focus on after using the restroom.
- Avoid any opportunity for many hands to touch food – group snack bowls, homemade shared treats, pot lucks, etc.
- Review the clean-up and disinfection procedures with school staff to ensure everyone is on the correct systems with vomit or diarrhea.
- Review the DOH Norovirus Checklist for Schools and Childcare