WFIS is pleased to partner with Karr Tuttle Campbell, a full service law firm – founded by a former teacher and school administrator and has included members of the board and two former presidents of the Washington Council of School Attorneys, for this special training opportunity. The full-day training will take place on Thursday October 18, 2018 in the Columbia Center conference level located on 5th Avenue in downtown Seattle.
Private school leaders and executive board members will gain valuable insight on current best practices relating to intellectual property, liability, HR & personnel, new federal/state regulations, school policy/handbook, and risk management.
Seminar sessions will cover:
- School Law 101: An Overview of the Laws That Apply in Washington’s Private Schools
- Employment Law Basics: Hiring to Firing, and Everything In-between
- Religious Schools
- Non-Profit Status & Governance
- The Basics of Negligence Liability: Risk Management, Waivers and Releases, Insurance
- Students: Harassment, Discrimination, Bullying; Adult-Student Boundaries; Mandatory Reporting
- Contractual Relationship: Enrollment, Employment, Leases, Releases, and Other Agreements
- Managing Employee Performance
- Student and Employee Handbooks
- Employment Law Basics: Hiring to Firing,
- Wage and Hour Issues and Everything In-between
- Students: Discipline & Due Process; Internet and Social Media Issues; Accommodating Disabilities
Closing event: When All Else Fails: Know When You Need Help and How to Get it
Topics will include attorney-client relationship; loss prevention through advising; crisis management; managing and preserving documentation and other evidence; media strategies; investigations; involving law enforcement; and preparing for litigation.
Registration will open on Tuesday MAY 15th, and space is limited to 100 attendees. Early bird pricing for WFIS Members will close on June 30th – so all members are encouraged to look for the email announcement and register right away.
Attendees will be eligible for Clock Hours, STARS Credits or CPE Credits. A light breakfast, full lunch and closing wine tasting will be included.