State and National Education News
Recent news updates from a variety of sources here in Washington and around the country.
Highlights in the News from WFIS
Today, Los Angeles became the first major school district in the U.S. to mandate coronavirus vaccines for students 12 and older who are attending class in person. The measure, which passed the district’s Board of Education with broad support, requires students to get...
NY Times September 9, 2021 The number of children admitted to the hospital in the United States with Covid-19 has risen to the highest levels reported to date. Nearly 30,000 of them entered hospitals in August. Pediatric hospitalizations, driven by a record rise in...
NY Times September 8, 2021 A state judge granted an injunction on Wednesday prohibiting disruptive protests near school campuses after anti-mask demonstrations in a high school in the Washington city of Vancouver resulted in a lockdown. According to a statement from...
Other education news from around WA state
Washington State OSPI
Washington State Wire Education News
Washington State Legislative Bill Tracker
Other education news from around the US
- At least 9 states have adopted legislation around suicide prevention as districts invest in SEL
- NASSP: Federal support needed to curb threats, violence toward school leaders
- Panelists: Heal school community polarization for sake of children's health
- Mentorships can expand students' curricular engagement, motivation
- Playing during a pandemic: How schools keep music education going