Washington State law requires that anyone driving a school bus must have a commercial driver’s license (CDL) Class B or C (depending on the school bus size). Review the OSPI School Bus Driver Handbook for details.

Entry-level Commercial Driver’s Licenses (CDL) require a higher level of training for anyone:

  • obtaining a first-time school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement;
  • seeking a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time;
  • upgrading an existing Class B CDL to Class A CDL.

Schools may provide their own instructors if registered with the Training Provider Registry and have the required CDL license.

  • Instructors must use the curriculum content listed in the ELDT standards for the class of licensure and/or endorsements sought by the prospective driver.
  • This curriculum may be purchased, or the trainer may elect to create and document their curriculum.
  • Each driver must pass an assessment based on the curriculum.
  • The registered instructor must keep evidence of the evaluation on file for three years and is subject to an audit.